Monday, June 20, 2011

U.S. Political Satirist talks about media in America (video)

I have recently come back from 10 months in America, taking a break from the many years I have lived in France.  While I was there, I was shocked at the division I could see and hear between Republicans and Democrats, as well as the media sensationalism that seems to have overtaken my motherland.  Indeed, journalism has moved far from the Watergate era and from my days of journalism school.  In this video, Jon Stewart tries to explain to a Fox News journalist that everything is not black and white and easily comparmentalized, which is what US journalists appear to do nowadays.
This binary nature of Americans is a cultural parameter, compared to the French characteristic of looking at all sides of a story before deciding.  The American approach allows for quick decision-making; the French approach leads to a much longer process of debating and indicision, due to the complexities and full range of thought.


No comments:

Post a Comment